Monday 31 August 2015

Bank Holiday Baking

Today in England it is Bank Holiday Monday and it is of course raining. If you're British you'll know that this comes as no huge surprise, Bank Holidays never bring sunshine. I think we always have our fingers crossed that there will be an unexpected heatwave for this day off work - more fool us!

To cheer up this miserable day I decided to bake something warm and delicious. My recipe of choice today came from Jamie Oliver's Comfort Food cookery book and with Autumn just around the corner (hurrah for wooly jumpers and Chelsea boots!) this book is undoubtedly going to be well thumbed. The 'Devil's Double Choc Malt Cookies' were my first stop.



You will need:
50g unsalted butter
200g quality dark chocolate (70%)
1 x 397g tin of condensed milk
25g ground almonds
2 heaped teaspoons Horlicks
200g self-raising flour
100g Maltesers
50g quality white chocolate

Recipe:

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees/ gas 3

Melt the butter and dark chocolate in pan until smooth




Remove from the heat and stir in the condensed milk, almonds & Horlicks

Sift in the flour & a pinch of sea salt. Mix together



Leave to chill in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.

Once cooled, smash up the Maltesers and add in the white chocolate in small chunks. *I didn't use the 100g of Maltesers as it was already chocolatey enough for me. Add in as many as you like*

Grease proof two large baking trays and roll golf ball size chunks of the mixture before slightly flattening them and placing them in the oven for 12 minutes (or until they are slightly firm at the edges)



And Ta-Da!

I'm really pleased with how these turned out and I even have some mixture left over which I rolled into the right shape and put in the freezer for another rainy day. If you're feeling extra greedy (I was) then sandwich two cookies together with vanilla ice cream. Thanks to Mr Oliver I am now full to the brim but it was most certainly worth it.

Alex x


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Across This Page. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig